Sunday, April 22, 2007

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Thanksgiving.

So here I am, the Thanksgiving day of 2006 come and gone, listening to my mother's futile attempts to vacuum the house that was recently ransacked by many very-Hispanic family members; my very-American father typing away in his "mobile command center," happy that he no longer has to worry about language barriers at the dinner table; my sisters scampering in and out of the house, enjoying the very un-November-like weather; my brother playing guitar in his upstairs bedroom, putting off doing his laundry so we can drive back to school; and my anxious little cockatiel whistling away the afternoon, happy that she can be heard instead of the loud Spanish noises that have been the music of my household for the past several days. Thanksgiving is quite a to-do in this little house of mine.

I greatly enjoy Thanksgiving, if only for the pumpkin pie. I really do like seeing the family we only get to see once a year, and having them tell me how much I've grown (I stopped growing in 7th grade, I promise) and how beautiful I'm becoming. Hispanic women are dreadfully loving and sweet. No matter how much they tell me I'm not eating enough at the "Georgia Institute of Technology University," I still love having them in my house, asking them about the countless other relatives who couldn't come this year, because they always seem to know what's happening in their family, and they always seem to have the best stories. They group together and speak in hushed whispers about what will become of us, the young ones, pretending I can't understand what they're saying. I love how they refuse to speak to me in English and refuse to accept an answer from me in English--making sure I don't forget the language that's supposedly in my blood.

But, now that that family has left, returning to their own very-Hispanic homes, I can breathe and actually think about the past few days and the meaning of this hectic holiday. Gratitude and thankfulness for one's life only comes one day out of the year? I beg to differ... I would hope that it comes more often than that... however, I am glad that there's actually a time of year that basically forces me to view my life as a whole to grasp how much there is to appreciate. While I'm a big fan of lists, the list of things I'm thankful for has no foreseeable end. There’s simply entirely too much that I love. I think it’s taking me a while to fully grasp how much I’ve been blessed with… And, sadly, I don’t think I’m adept enough to express all my comprehension troubles with words. I hope it’s enough to simply state that I’m quite grateful right now, here, today, in this small cyber space.

No comments: